XC OP server needs a map

If it's got to do with Starfleet Command - Orion Pirates, then it needs to be here!!

Moderator: FA_Frey_XC

XC OP server needs a map

Postby FCM_RogueJediXC » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:09 pm

Anyone here good with the Artifex program used to create maps for SFC? I need a map for the XC OP server and am looking for a volunteer to create one. The map will need both Empires and Pirates accounted for, since we may be doing an all pirate campaign depending on how the current test/fun server works out.
RogueJedi_XC
Fleet Commodore, Dynaverse Division, Xenocorp
Peace through superior firepower
FCM_RogueJediXC
XC HQ Alpha Assistant Admin

Postby FA_Frey_XC » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:50 pm

I serioulsy doubt there's going to be an Orion Server anytime in the near future.

The attendance for this particular server has been piss poor to say the least. I don't think there's any point in leaving it up except for having a place for people to test the OP PLus orion section of the shiplist.

So, what we need to do is get together and come up with some different ideas on a serious server.

Blade and I were tossing around the idea of a Terran / Rom war. This would be interesting because there'd be pretty much just phaser 3's and drones.

Any other ideas ?
CEO, XenoCorp® Inc.
Director Fleet Activities.
fafrey@xenocorp.net

GAMESPY CALLSIGN:
FA_Frey_XC
FA_Frey_XC
XC HQ Alpha Admin

Postby FCM_RogueJediXC » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:04 pm

We're going to have to work to generate interest a lot more than we have to get an all-orion campaign working. I think it can work, though. Variety is the spice of life! :)
RogueJedi_XC
FCM_RogueJediXC

Postby FVA_C_Blade_XC » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:14 am

:shock: A nice storyline might help.We need someone to dream up one.
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
Fleet Vice Admiral_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
XenoCorp.net
Shit-Storm.com
fvablade@xenocorp.net
OC Member
Visioneer
SFC2.net ISC RM
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XC Retired Member

Postby FCM_RogueJediXC » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:01 pm

From an email I sent to Frey the other day:

Constant warfare between the empires has left the citizenry of the Alpha Quadrant open to exploitation by pirates. The various cartels have ruthlessly staked their claims in their race's home space, and are looking to neutral space and the holdings of the other cartels to expand their economic empires. The cartels routinely ignore the laws of their host empires, often standing toe to toe against the rag-tag police forces sent against them. The empire's navies are simply to depleted to do anything about the pirates; leaving the citizens to the cartel's tender mercies.
The major cartels have aligned into cabals of two or three cartels, with one cartel being dominant over the others. The subordinate cartels pay a portion of their profits for the protection and stewardship of the dominate Cartel in their group. Failure to pay results in support being withdrawn and assets seized.
The Orion cartel has become dominant over the Syndicate and Wylde Fire cartels, the Korgath cartel dominates the Combroro and Prime cartels, and the Beast Raiders and Tiger Heart cartels exist in a strange sort of semi-alliance no one has figured out. Mostly, it's that the Tiger Hearts were the only ones willing or able to put up with the eccentricities of the Beast Raiders, but it's also mutual defense against the other cartels.

We would use the SS2 rules, for the most part, including the disengagement rules.
The map would be 30 to 45 hexes by 25 to 30 hexes.
Bases would be permanent, and so very expensive in the shipyards.
BBs, DNs, and CVs go to RMs only. FMs get BCHs and smaller CVs.
VCs TBD

And from an email I sent earlier today:

We could have several players, at least one per race maybe, play as empire races. Their only purpose would be to oppose the pirate players, they would not try to expand their empire's space. The only problem I see with this is that empire players cannot affect cartel DV on the map (and vice versa).

The dreaming is in progress. :lol:
RogueJedi_XC
FCM_RogueJediXC

Postby FVA_C_Blade_XC » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:44 pm

:P
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
Fleet Vice Admiral_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
XenoCorp.net
Shit-Storm.com
fvablade@xenocorp.net
OC Member
Visioneer
SFC2.net ISC RM
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XC Retired Member

Postby FCM_Kortez_XC » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:42 am

I wonder ... how about combining two different games, like a war and planets to conquer, the idea Frey once posited to combine SFC2 with Elite Force 2. Keep the secondary game objectives optional, so those who do not have EF2 do not feel the need to abstain. In effect we'd only be casting a lure of potential excitement and a dimensional addition.

What we need, IMO, is something other than the standard dynaverse.

FWIW ...
FCM_Kortez_XC
XC Retired Member

Postby FA_Frey_XC » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:05 pm

Corwin_XC wrote:I wonder ... how about combining two different games, like a war and planets to conquer, the idea Frey once posited to combine SFC2 with Elite Force 2. Keep the secondary game objectives optional, so those who do not have EF2 do not feel the need to abstain. In effect we'd only be casting a lure of potential excitement and a dimensional addition.

What we need, IMO, is something other than the standard dynaverse.

FWIW ...

The real problem I see with this is:

Unless the two "sections" (SFC & EF) are integrated, then you're talking a lot more administration to keep the server running. We **COULD** run a EAW Dyna and utilize the MySQL support, etc. but then I feel we'd be stepping backwards. I am pushing for MySQL support for OP harder and harder, because there's just no damned reason why we shouldn't have it.

In using OP, we'd have to figure out how to integrate them, and then correctly adjust the campaign for the results of those matches.

While this seems unfeasable at this time, it's good to see the ideas coming!

Let's keep it up!
FA_Frey_XC
XC HQ Alpha Admin

Return to Starfleet Command - Orion Pirates