The State of the D3 Dynaverse

Totally dedicated to Starfleet Command 3 - The Next Generation!

Moderator: FA_Frey_XC

The State of the D3 Dynaverse

Postby Torbellino » Fri May 07, 2004 2:29 pm

SBOTemplar authored this post over on the DominionWars forums. It's good, it's relevant and it's something that's needed to be said for a while now. This posting is well-written and completely unedited. Read it carefully and then reflect.

While we're at it, a few shameless plugs: Unity, The Third Age, is being fought right now. The successor to IslandWars 2 will follow it, as will BattleZone, and next, Dominion Wars.

Sorry to all the SFC3 widows and widowers out there! :roll:

Fellow Denizens of the Dynaverse,

I just wanted to comment on some of the things going on in our gaming community. I am sure everyone is aware of the continual bickering, flaming and other such nonsense that is ever present in the SFC3 community. Don’t you think it is about time it stopped?

I for one, and I am sure the overwhelming majority or those reading this post, play the game to relax, have fun, and enjoy a little friendly competition, so why all the turmoil?

I would like to see everyone, regardless of which faction you represent, which clan or whatever else you call yourself, take a break and learn to exercise a little tolerance and more importantly, engage the brain before the mouth. I’ve been playing SFC3 for more than a year now and the crap hasn’t let up since day one. There is no sense in any of this.

Most of the problems seem to be integrity issues, real and imagined, and my personal favorite; someone offended someone’s “honor”. Get a life people. Once it’s all said and done, it’s only a game. And as for your “honor”, I am sure it will still be there if you ever really had it to begin with, even if someone fires a few colorful expletives your way or challenges something you say or do. Let’s strive for maturity, tolerance and understanding first, I am certain your “honor” will remain intact and just possibly some who have no idea what honor really is might actually develop some. Lastly, for those seemingly “honor” bound types; how honorable is it to engage in a childish, schoolyard shouting match, in open forum, over some perceived slight, real or imagined? Think about it. You know who you are out there and remember we all have one or two like that in our group of friends/associates. If you know someone like this, give them a friendly reminder to tone it down and come back to reality.

What I see as a real problem is everyone wanting to take the high moral ground and grandstand in front of the SFC3 community at large, some may even say that about this post. So be it. Take it for what its worth. Anyway, everyone at one time or another likes being the “wounded” victim and then playing it up to the crowd that gathers to watch or participate in the ensuing spectacle! It’s actually quite funny and sad at the same time. It’s the same kind of loathsome garbage you see on the likes of daytime shock-reality shows like Springer and other similar trash TV. I guess bottom line is everyone needs to step down a notch or two and let those things of importance be important and those that are not simply slide off into oblivion. We should put so much energy into cooperative efforts and sportsmanship during the game.

As for the major SFC3 mods, their creators and staff. Gentlemen you’ve done a great service to the community and I commend you on your efforts and enjoy your mods quite a lot. Unfortunately some while doing a great service on one hand have done and equally harmful turn to the community by fostering an environment that although it may be totally benign, gives the appearance of bia’s, impropriety, and any number of other maladies. My suggestion to this is please only release completed and thoroughly beta tested mods that are truly fair and balanced. Select your staff carefully and hold them to a high standard. Most importantly, once a campaign starts, any changes should be made only as an absolute necessity, not just because you can or to slightly tweak something that really doesn’t have that much bearing on the campaign as a whole.

Encourage dialogue with your players and try to listen to their comments with an open mind, as asinine as they can be sometimes. Conversely, players, give the mod creators and staff the respect you would want them to give you and remember, it’s their “house” and if you don’t like it, quietly and courteously leave. Simple as that.

We have a great community, lots of good people and a common bond in the form of this game. By and large SFC3 is a highly addictive and enjoyable pastime. Let’s keep the fun in it and put and end to all the garbage.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

See you in the Dyna!

Commander Templar
SBO Council
Executive Officer, SBO Wing II
“Riders of the Apocalypse”
If Enterprise takes place 100 years before the time of Captain Kirk, why are the special effects better?

Torbellino
XenoCorp® Newbie Member

Postby FCM_Kortez_XC » Fri May 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Unfortunately this post ignores the realities of human behavior and psychology. It is not enough to endlessly ignore or forgive. Real changes have to take place or eventually relationships worsen, not improve. I know there is a real desire to see the dynaverse interpersonal relationships improve, but my recent experience shows unless I desire to patronize or give up my sense of right and wrong I'll be taken to task or taken advantage of, or even miscategorized by those who become disappointed I don't just agree totally with them.

I have tried to make this clear to some people, but I don't seem to be understood. I have seen simple related truths be denied, and I have seen the gathering of forces. Before one implies that certain groups have to sell out remember the need for honest discourse and real change, without which relations will only worsen.

I'd like to see things improve too; in fact I lead a charge just for that. However, my statements above have to be factored into the equation or we spin our wheels while the proverbial snowball grows ever larger and spins faster.

As for the accusation of grandstanding, I have no such desire myself, and most of the people I associate with don't seem to want to grandstand either. Such a prominent accusation shows a lack of understanding because the desire just is not there. Telling the truth is not grandstanding, and as for factions, well, I stand with people who are excellent pilots, good people, and supporters of TRUTH. No way I want to give up my principles to coexist.

I do agree about thoroughly tested mods. That is not a bad idea at all.
FCM_Kortez_XC
XC Retired Member

great on paper

Postby mokkie » Tue May 11, 2004 4:42 pm

as true to all other great ideas in the world
they look great on paper, but as pointed out pesonal problems spawning from game play are growing into reality.
?has anyone comitted suicide from gameplay? i would hope not but i do know of quit a few people that have trashed ther games and burnt ther c.d keys ether because of people they know or them selfs being band from mod's and bords after being told they wouldn't as long as it was ther oppinion that was being typed. Personal bashing is inits self a real low thing to do but to go ferther into someone's personal life is even lower.
So what if someone go's to court, Iv hade to go to court and poop on me im on probat..now you all know that is because i told u
know u wish to use this against me cause u got a problem with me then that is how and who u r and it is a shame. i have never done this to you or anyone in genral........ this is a game and ther's people that mod this game to make it better .it's to bad that some have to take ther ball and go home sorta speak.......the fleet banning, the fleet flamming and personal bashing MUST STOP b4 anyone can proced to a peacefull war..........
I hope that u undrestand what i am saying and not take personal what iv said
but if u do then sry.........

sincerly MPS~LordOmaga{KDL}............

let peace righn supprem and war rag in the dyna not in our hearts
mokkie
XenoCorp® Newbie Member

Re: The State of the D3 Dynaverse

Postby GFLOffkeyCO » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm

HMM. Real thoughts to take into consideration. However I must disagree. On the GFL Server Legions at War Server these issues do not take place anymore. Not only is there no bickering but whiners are banned immediately. We havent had issues in 3 years. As for a fun balanced server without uber ships and junk that doesnt pertain to next generation Legions at War mod is just that. Nothing is in there but Next Generation products. Not only that but game was tested for 3 years just for the balance and if an issue arises we test and repair. We are on version 5 right now and are using our own custom scripts and ai that are a challenge not just pot shots. Our last server ran for 2 years straight with no rollbacks. We can do missions up to 40 minutes without issue. We do have rulesets inplace to protect against battlelocks and almost never have them anymore. So If you wish to enjoy a challenging fair friendly server go to www.gfluniverse.net to the legions at war forum and starfleet command forum and read up and download files. I guarantee you wont see the issues on other dynas. All I can say is give it a go and if you need assistance dont be afraid to ask.
GFLOffkeyCO
XenoCorp® Newbie Member

Return to Starfleet Command - The Next Generation