Fly in the Soup

General NWN News, info , and the like.

Moderator: FA_Frey_XC

Fly in the Soup

Postby StumpTX_XC » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:43 am

Arrgh! Found a bug which is documented on Bioware's forum as well. When you create with creatures or NPC's for epic level characters mixed with lower level ones, the epic level NPC and creatures will not spawn. In fact, a level 40 character will 'pull' the samespawn as a level 1 character. I sure hope they get THAT little oversight fixed soon!
Perilandra is running online on a part-time basis while Nafein and I add some finishing touches. Stop by and check for mod name Perilandra in the Alternative section.
StumpTX_XC
XC Retired Member

Postby FA_Frey_XC » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:06 am

For us idiots, what does that really all mean?
CEO, XenoCorp® Inc.
Director Fleet Activities.
fafrey@xenocorp.net

GAMESPY CALLSIGN:
FA_Frey_XC
FA_Frey_XC
XC HQ Alpha Admin

Spawn Bug

Postby StumpTX_XC » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:33 pm

You can create your own custom critters in the toolkit. You can also create your own encounters to specify a list of critters that will be spawned when a character enters a spawn 'zone' that you paint onto a map. You then select that zone and right-click on the spot where you want the critters to spawn. If you put critters with different levels of difficulty in the selection list for that spawn, the number and type of critters that pop up depends on the level of the character that first enters that zone to trigger the spawn. This can be very handy - especially for generating hunting grounds for players to pick up XP and loot between quests et al. Unfortunately, a level 21+ character generates the same number and type of critters as a level 1 character. :mad:

So, for example, if my spawn list says generate 2-4 critters and the critter list includes level 2 goblins and level 30 hostile monks, a level 40 player will always spawn 2 goblins instead of 2-4 level 30 monks as he or she should.

I assume this oversight is because Bioware only puts specific critters in their spawns for the Single Player Game (SPG) as opposed to a range of critters with different difficulty levels as many persistan world developers do. They just didn't notice because this was not really tested in the SPG.

I don't know when this will be fixed, but I don't really know when we will be going live either. I assume it will be corrected before we have any level 21+ characters saved in our online world, though. At least I sure hope so. We'll have some PO'd players if they finally reach epic levels and start spawning gerbils. :kiffer:
Perilandra is running online on a part-time basis while Nafein and I add some finishing touches. Stop by and check for mod name Perilandra in the Alternative section.
StumpTX_XC
XC Retired Member

Postby FA_Frey_XC » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:56 am

Okay - that makes sense.

Probably the fix will be easy, just having to go through and reclassify or redo the scripts - remember - before the last expansion, the top level limit WAS 20.

Thus, the scripts / programming that handle that specific routine probably just need to be updated.

Cool!
FA_Frey_XC
XC HQ Alpha Admin

More Specifics

Postby StumpTX_XC » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:20 am

Jamie was playing an epic level character in my mod the other night and he was spawning lvl 40 prism dragons. The only thing I changed when I logged into DM mode was "enforce legal characters" - I unflagged it and he was spawning good stuff in the Shanarei Desert. :twisted:
StumpTX_XC
XC Retired Member

Return to NeverWinter Nights General